San Manuel Band of Serrano Mission Indians
Preservation of Adobe House
During the early Reservation Era (1891-1910), the traditional residential and ceremonial core for the San Manuel Band of Serrano Mission Indians consisted of about a dozen adobe structures. One of the last remaining structures, this building was originally used to dry meat and store food that was gathered from the land. The Tribe wanted to preserve and protect this historic site, which is showing signs of deterioration, by installing a large canopy to protect it. With the CRF grant, the Tribe installed a shelter of masonry piers, curved glu-lam beams and a metal roof. The Tribe’s Education Department is using the structure as a teaching tool for tribal youth.